A lady from my ward posted a link she had found to this on her Facebook. It really struck a cord with me so I wanted share.

{via Darin Young Mom}
This mom talks about walking her son to the bus stop, which doesn't happen too often and this time she was even dressed up and presentable. Her son grabs her hand and she has a special moment. But then chastens herself for having that thought because she's bad at walking him and that it probably won't happen again. Then she starts to dog on herself and focus on other things that she's "failing" in. So she decides to focus on the little awesome things that she does do. Everything good is a "drop of awesome" in her bucket of awesome. She goes on to talk about how it's not whether or not we're consistent with what we do right that we should focus on but that we should focus on that moment, because at that moment we were awesome. Then she takes it even one step further and talks about after we've done all we can, our Heavenly Father takes care of the rest and fills the rest of our bucket with the drops of awesome that we miss, can't do, fail at etc.
"Do not rob yourself of this moment’s joy because of what you failed to do yesterday or what you fear you might not do tomorrow."
This blog post spoke to me, it definitely made me stop and think. Do I spend most of my time focusing on the lack of awesomeness? Do I let that define how I feel about myself? Unfortunately sometimes the answer is yes. I am guilty of beating myself up on the things that I think I'm failing at. Rather than focusing or even acknowledging that I have awesome moments. So this year that is my goal. Drops of Awesome. I'm going to focus on all of them, little to big. Because I am awesome and just because I'm not doing everything on my long list of things to do, things to change about myself, etc. doesn't mean that I'm not awesome or the person/mother/wife that I want to be. I also need to remember that if I try my hardest that when I fail or don't quite meet my expectations that my Heavenly Father will make up the difference and that I am always awesome in His eyes. Since reading this post I have tried to do the "drops of awesome" and I found that my day went by lots quicker, smoother and happier. Even if I didn't do every thing on my to-do list I still felt good about my day, about what I accomplished and about myself. I know that with this mind set I can achieve more and be more happy with the things I do and with myself. We are all awesome and if we focus on our awesome moments we'll know that we are awesome and when we happen to fall short I know that our Heavenly Father will make up the difference and that He loves us and will always think we are awesome.
Loved this post about enjoying the awesome moments. ;)
ReplyDeleteI think your fam. already told you, but we are in their ward! We LOVE IT! It was really fun to see a familiar face the first day we were there (your mom's face). Vance teaches Carmoni (sp?) and he thinks she's so fun and such a good girl. Loves all the class members! Anyway, it's been fun being in their ward. ;)