Thursday, June 2, 2011

The best decision just happens to be the hardest...

Well it’s official…I am no longer a teacher at Rocky Mountain Middle School. I turned in my keys today, the classroom is clean and my things are packed and at home.

Over 3 years ago when Austin and I were engaged, we sat down to decide how we were going pay for things and basically survive. There wasn’t even a question in my mind that I would work. A few years prior to that when I was deciding what to major in, struggling like most girls with the question of what because the ultimate goal is to be a mom, I got the impression that I would work. If not for a husband, for myself. So when the conversation came as to how we were going to pay for things and Austin’s education, our answer was natural and comfortable. Heavenly Father blessed me with the job at RMMS. There were a lot of applicants and not a lot of art openings and I was very blessed to get the job. 

We were married then with only one car. Austin drove me there and waited while I went to the most nerve-wracking interview of my life. I remember the phone call telling me they wanted me to join their staff. I was at Bush Elementary School, subbing. I listened to the message out in the hallway and did a little dance. I listened again after school just to make sure it was real. Haha.

I am so grateful for the opportunity that I’ve had to work there. The teachers I worked with, the administration I worked under and the students that I had were all wonderful and all hold a special place in my heart. These last 3 years have done more for me than any body will ever know.

I’ve never been one of those baby hungry girls. Never. In fact the moment I got baby hungry was a couple of weeks after we decided to start our family. I tossed the idea around about staying at RMMS. Heck, there are plenty of wonderful moms that teach at my school that have kids in day care. My mom lives in IF, Austin’s mom lives in Rigby, I wouldn’t even have to pay for day care! But then I started to think of how I would feel dropping him off and not getting to spend time with him. Getting updated on what he’s doing from someone else besides me and I didn’t like that idea at all. Sure it works for those ladies and yes they are still wonderful mothers, but I just can’t do it. I want to be with my kids, from the very start.

There’s nothing like the feeling of putting your husband through school. Knowing that it’s possible because you’re helping. I’m grateful that I’ve been able to do that for us, for Austin. I’m going to be so proud watching him walk across the stage and get his Bachelor’s. There’s nothing like the feeling of a student getting that light bulb look on their face when they get what you’re teaching them. There’s nothing like helping a middle school kid with whatever they’re going through and knowing you may be the only smiling face they see all day. There’s nothing like having friends at school and loving going to work. But I know that there’s also nothing like holding your baby and being with him as his mommy. And that is why I made the hardest decision in my life. But the absolute best one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment