Friday, September 28, 2012

Put Together

I'm a Junior in high school selling concessions at a Ririe basketball game (I think it was districts) at Idaho Falls High School. None of the Seniors in the club wanted to do it so all the Juniors were "nominated". I didn't mind, my dad had taught seminary out in Ririe so I was kind of hoping to see friends from there. I saw lots of people but one stood out to me and actually changed my life. (Cheesy but true) I saw one of my dad's past seminary counsel presidents. In high school she was always so cute and put together. She was one of my favorites. Well this time seeing her she was married and had at least one child (all I remember is her carrying a car seat) I barely recognized her. She was wearing baggy sweats, her hair was in a sloppy ponytail, she had no makeup on and she looked like death. This shook me, where did that put together girl go?
*Don't get me wrong, motherhood is hard. There are days that taking a shower is an accomplishment. And I have rocked plenty of over sized sweats, hair in a sloppy ponytail, no makeup on and the death look...but in the comfort of my own my home. And I would never judge those who do go out like that! Because I know what it's like, I know what some days feel like. I'm by no means judging or looking down on those who have those days, only describing my own personal goals.
I knew then that motherhood was hard. I was 12 when Karmoni was born, I knew that babies took a LOT of work. I knew that this girl had every right and reason to look like she did. And I could tell that it had been one of "those days." But at that moment I decided that I would always leave my house "put together". That even if I was rocking the death look I would at least be dressed to see people and have at least a little make up on. I've always wanted my husband to be proud to be seen with me and to at least make others believe that I'm put together. Austin asked me why I had made that goal. And at the age 17 I really can't tell you but I can tell you that I have stuck to it since then. Am I always on time? Ha....don't ask Austin that! But am I always presentable? Yes. I believe that how you present yourself is an indicator of how you feel about yourself. And I have always tried to look nice before leaving my house. I think that I learned this from my mother. My mom doesn't wear makeup {she's one of those lucky ladies that is so beautiful she doesn't need make up!} plus she's allergic to most everything. But she always looks nice. Even if we were working out in the yard or the garage or whatever, if we needed to go somewhere she would shower or change to look nice before we left. I have never seen my mom in anything sloppy outside of my house and really the only times I have ever seen her hang out in her pajamas is when she is sick. As a child, teenager, and adult I can tell you that my mom has always been put together. And I want my children to feel the same way about me.
Put together doesn't have to be just in makeup or what you wear. I believe that how you present yourself any where speaks volumes about yourself. Take a minute and think about your facebook news feed. You can probably make a list of "those" people that share everything. They tell the world WAY too much about their personal life. They share the good, mostly the bad and unfortunately the ugly. Think about what impression they make of their life. Is it positive? Is it happy? Is it put together? I don't need the whole world knowing my problems. In fact I would rather the whole world think that I don't have any. If I don't blast it....then how does anyone know that I have any? Besides no one wants to hear about that stuff!
I by no means am completely put together. And my life is definitely not with out "those days" but I know that I feel better about myself knowing that I'm putting my best foot forward in all venues of my life. And if I can give the impression that I really am put together than even better!

No comments:

Post a Comment